(AMHRTF) is a non-governmental organization, based in Kenya dedicated to research in mental and neurological health and, substance use to generate evidence for policy and best practice in the provision of affordable, appropriate, available and accessible mental health services.
AMHRTF brings together the widest possible spectrum of professionals from both mental health and non-mental health fields to work together under one roof working in research and interventions in mental health.
DAVID M. NDETEI
MBChB (Nairobi), DPM (London), MRC Psych, FRC Psych, (UK), MD (Nairobi),
DSc (Nairobi), DIFAPA (USA), Certificate in Psychotherapy (Lond)
- Professor of Psychiatry, University of Nairobi,
- Founding Director, Africa Mental Health Research and Training Foundation, Nairobi, Kenya
- Director, World Psychiatric Association Collaborating Centre for Research and Training, Kenya
- Hon. Member World Psychiatric Association
- Past Representative, World Psychiatric Association (WPA) Zone 14
- Honorary Fellow of World Association for Social Psychiatry
- Hon. Faculty and Collaborator, The Chester M. Pierce, MD Division of Global Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
- Hon. Faculty, Western University Canada, GLOBAL MINDS Institute
- Hon. Member, Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK
- Past Secretary and Chairman, Africa Division, Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK
- Distinguished International Fellow, American Psychiatric Association.
Link to CV: Prof David M Ndetei -CV 2023
He is currently editing a book titled “Global Mental Health in Africa: Towards Inclusivity, Innovations and Opportunities”. It brings together about 100 expert contributors from across the globe with experience in mental health in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. It will be published in 2023 by Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
The first 14 were not based at a Kenyan university
AMHRTF consists of a truly dynamic, multi-disciplinary team of researchers, research support and management staff, working together in mental health research. Our excellent team is truly the reason why we are one of the leading mental health research and advocacy institutions in the region.